So...What is the Difference Between Porcelain and Resin?This is a common question at Wedding Collectibles because most wedding cake toppers are going to be made of one or the other. To answer this question I will go over the qualities of both, noting some pros and cons of each. It is important, however, to know that whether you should buy a porcelain cake topper versus a resin cake topper will depend more on what is important to you. Porcelain Porcelain is a ceramic material made similar to the way that glass is made, involving heating or firing of material such as clay.If it breaks, you will notice that the texture of the broken surface will feel powdery, demonstrating that the material is made of smaller materials or grans. However, unless it is dropped or hit with something it isn't going to break. Porcelain is a material that doesn't ware away or in anyway disintegrate. These are known for being a high quality cake topper. Why?
- Porcelain lasts longer. The color and shape won't fade or distort (unless you drop it and it breaks!)
- The major disadvantage is that is can't hold edges very well. What this means is that if the edge or detail is too thin, it will collapse on itself. If you have a porcelain cake topper, you do not need to worry about this happening. This would only occur while making the figurine, meaning that it limits the kind of details you are going to find in the cake topper.
- Expensive Material. High quality porcelain cake toppers do tend to be more expensive, but not necessarily out of budget. If you are looking for a long lasting keepsake, porcelain is well worth the money!
- Resin can be intricately detailed, meaning that your cake topper can have more detail.
- It can be cheaper than porcelain, but still maintain a similar look.* (See exemption in Cons below!)
- Resin actually yellows over time, so if you buy a resin cake topper you may find the white to be looking a little less...white. If you display it in an area that has a lot of sun, your cake topper will easily be yellowed within a year. Whether it sits in the sun or not, it will yellow, the sun just speeds up the process.This is why if you plan on your cake topper being a keep sake that you will have around for a lifetime or more, you may want to look at something other then Resin.
- The cost is increasing! Resin is most basically a high grade plastic. For a long time this meant that the cake toppers could be made at a lower cost, but the cost of this material is going up. Making the cost difference between Resin and Porcelain to not be so much of a difference.
If you have any more questions on these difference please feel free to post below or give us a call!!
Take a look Wedding Collectibles's "Coastal Cake Top
Cake Decorating Ideas That Are Meant to Help Brides Weddings come in all shapes and sizes, as do the pieces that build them up: centerpieces, wedding dresses, favors, and wedding cakes. The wedding cake, being one of the those must items, can be done in so many different ways and it can sometimes be hard to sort through all of the cake decorating ideas. An important thing to remember is that they are ideas, suggestions, and simply possibilities and not really rules. Of course, the cake decorating ideas that you are likely to encounter are going to be based on both tradition and the way cakes have been decorated in the past and on ways in which you can push on those traditions. As you sort through these decoration ideas, you can pick and choose between traditional and non-traditional designs. Some brides prefer pulling from the more traditional wedding cake decorating ideas because it can be a more sentimental route. However, adhering to a tradition does not mean it has to be in a traditional way. For example, wedding cake toppers are a traditional aspect of wedding cake decorations -that bride and groom at the top of the cake have been there since before you were born- but that doesn't mean you can't put a fun twist to the design. Unique Cake Toppers as a Twist on Traditional Wedding Cake Decorating Ideas
- Unique Animal Wedding Cake Toppers - Seal it with a kiss with this Seal Wedding Cake Topper A lot of bride's will choose to have a beach wedding this summer and along with that you will find plenty of beach themed wedding cake toppers with seashells and feet in the sand (see: "Beach Get Away" and "Beach Romance") which can be unique in there more natural and casual design's, but how many wedding cakes have you found with seals on top? Animal wedding cake toppers may not be every bride's cup of tea, but you can be assured that it would be an adorable and unique cake decorating idea.
- Take a look at a more Stylized Design for a Twist on the Traditional More stylized and artistic designs can also give you a different look, but keep you in the realm of tradition. There is something beautiful about the ease of these romantic wedding cake decorations.
- You have choices in the shape of your cake from its height to its form. Will you choose a round cake or square? Or will you go way out of the box and create your own shape? Will you have three tiers or two? Or Will you use cupcakes?
- Another area people are branching out are in the color of their cake. Typically, people choose a white frosted cake as its base color, but why not mix it up?
- Do you need cake? Some couples are pushing through this tradition by using pies and other desert options in place of the traditional wedding cake. Keep in mind that choosing pies would limit your decorating options (though there are some great "Monogram" cake toppers that are great for wedding pies!)
Take a look at our Cake Toppers and Let us Know Which Cake Decorations You Like Best!
Gag-Me-With-a-Spoon Cutsie Wedding Cake Toppers
Are you that couple that just can't help but talk in sweet little voices to each other, sneak little kisses, and are holding hands or cuddling so much that your friends pretend to be joking about not being able to stand being around you? Do you have so many pet names for each other that you have moved way passed sweetheart and have entered a world where pumpkin butt is a term of endearment? If so, then you will want to capture that lovey-dovey-ness in your wedding cake topper because your cake topper is not only for your wedding, but is a keepsake that can represent your love for each other for the many years to come. Wedding Collectibles has so many different types of cake toppers available, but some of the best wedding cake toppers we have are our too cute to stand cake toppers, including the "Showered with Love" cake topper that is featured above.
The "Picture Perfect" couple wedding cake topper is another fun cutsie cake topper option. Part of what makes this so adorable is its play off of the trend of taking wedding photos or engagement photos with a frame (the whole frame within a frame effect). If you are doing the framed them photos then this cake topper would be perfect! Plus, as it allows for your cake topper to be more of a sweet moment captured, rather than a stoic image of a bride and groom
If you are looking for a twist on the traditional wedding cake topper, the "Look of Love" would be the perfect choice. This cake topper is unique in that instead of the usual bride and groom standing side bye side, you have a bride and groom sitting together in one of those soft and intimate moments where you don't worry about those friends that are making kissy noises or are pretending to throw up because all that matters is looking into his deep dark brown eyes and hearing him whisper "I love you". What is really great about this cake topper is how natural and unposed it seems. It really could be that moment at the end of the night, when the bride and groom think that finally no one is watching and they just sink into themselves.
There really is a lot of freedom in the choice of what kind of wedding cake topper you choose to use, so take your time in deciding on that perfect wedding cake topper that truly captures the love and personality of your relationship.
How to Keep it Classy When Using a Sporty Cake Topper
A newly married bride, Heidi, met her husband on the basketball courts of her college gym. She was in gym shorts, a quick ponytail, and was a force to be noticed. And she was noticed by an equally sweaty and probably smellier Kevin. They flirted (smack talked), then dated (Heidi wore here hair down), and were attracted to each others athletic, spunky, and kind (good sport) attitude. When planning their wedding they wanted to implement that basketball game meeting. Before their guest arrived, they "played" a little one on one and "shot hoops". Heidi in her wedding dress and Kevin in his suit. Heidi also decided to wear cute tennis shoes as her wedding shoes at her reception and put Kevin in matching shoes in order to bring in the sporty and fun personality of their relationship. Heidi and Kevin had a beautiful wedding and a equally lovely reception, but were able to include their sporty (and possibly more frizz haired and smelly) side. Another simple way to do this is to include a fun, sporty cake topper. This is a small element, but will be center stage on top of your wedding cake.
What we love about this cake topper is that it plays on that sweet flirtation the lives the strongest at the start of the best romances. It is a cliched move for a guy to "show" a girl how to do things like bowl, golf, shoot a hoop, as an excuse to get closer together. Choosing a cake topper like this is an inspiration and a promise to always make excuses to be close together. This would a be a tasteful addition to help you add a little fun to your wedding decor without sacrificing the class of that traditional bride and groom cake topper.
If your faith is at the center of your life, then you may decide to make it a prominent element of your wedding. Traditionally, the wedding ceremony is tied as a religious ceremony, and it is not uncommon to find religious elements in the couples wedding vows, the ceremony officiator, and in traditions such lighting prayer candles or the breaking of the glass. Having a religiously themed wedding cake topper is a simple and elegant way to carry over that reverence of your religious wedding ceremony to your wedding reception.
The wedding cake topper on the left is a great example of what Wedding Collectibles has to offer its costumers that are looking for something to embody their faith at their wedding. It features the symbolic wedding bands, rose and pearl accents, a bible and a bible verse. Simple and Elegant. A similar cake topper available is our "Love Verse Bible with Doves". This cake topper has that added symbolism of the white dove that is a symbol in the bible of the Holy Spirit.
The Wedding Cake Topper is the Symbol You Choose to Represent You
If you want the traditional blushing bride and groom figurine wedding cake topper, the one like the figure above would be a beautiful addition to your artfully designed wedding cake. We've said this before, but we will say it again because it is essential to realize; The wedding cake topper is representation of the essential element of you and your groom. It acts as a stand in, a symbol, of who you are as a couple. That is why couples that are united in their playful and dreamer nature will choose a fantasy or fairy tale cake topper, and the adventurous or outgoing couple ends up with a cake topper like the motorcycle "Get Away" cake topper or the "Super Spy" figurine cake topper. For couples that center themselves in their faith, finding that cake topper that embodies that faith, that respect, trust, and reverence. Try our "My Beloved" or the "Precious Moments Wedding Cross" wedding cake topper to help you make your wedding dreams come true.
Put a Little Country in Your Cake Topper With a Western Themed Wedding Cake Topper
If you are having a western, country, or shabby chic wedding then you have to top it off with a countrified western wedding cake topper. You can be subtle, go all out, be comedic, or emphasize that sweet love that blooms under acres of stars. Here are some of the options Wedding Collectibles has that are perfect for your wedding:
The above Lasso of Love western cake topper is a perfect example of our country love cowboy and cowgirl figurine cake toppers. They embody that sweetness that your love is so full of and plays on the country shabby chic theme. Another great option for this type of topper is the "A Sweet Western Embrace". This cake topper is adorable with the sweeping of the brides wedding gown and the down-to-the-detail silver cowgirl boots.
If you want to take a more comedic approach to the western theme then this "Western Lasso" cake topper will be the perfect touch. It is a fun snagging the groom depiction that is sure to send laughter, possible friendly teasing, and smiles through your wedding guests. Another more comedy themed western cake topper is our "Wood Finish Bride and Groom" wedding cake topper. It is not so much that they have a gimmick, but that their cartoon features create a light tone that keeps the wedding atmosphere full of smiles.
Next there are the southern sweetheart heart wedding cake toppers to choose from. The above has all the country pulls; the lasso, the cowboy hats, the subdued tones. Other choices include the "linked horseshoes" cake topper and the fun "Gone Hunting" cake topper. Each of these options has an emphasis on the idea of love and a playful tone to help you create that perfect country touch.
Fun Wedding Cake Toppers Add Smiles to Your Wedding DayYour wedding day is a day to be remembered, celebrated, and of course, it should also be filled with smiles and laughter. It is a joyous day of two people coming together in a long-lasting union, the next chapter in their lives that they also wish to share with friends and family in a special ceremony. While memories will certainly be made, one of the best ways to do this is through wedding decorations and accessories. Whether it's a quirky guestbook, photobooths for guests, or even the decor itself, a bride and groom need to consider how they want to put smiles on the faces of their guests. Eskimo Kiss Wedding Cake Topper.
One of the best ways to achieve this? Choosing the right wedding cake topper. Most wedding cake toppers are the traditional bride and groom in their respective wedding dress and tuxedo, but there are other ways to entertain guests with the wedding cake by making it quirky and unique. There are all sorts of cake toppers out there.
Perfectly Fun Wedding Cake ToppersIs the happy couple fans of Disney? How about being a geek couple? There are character-inspired wedding cake toppers that can Mickey and Minnie Mouse, comic book characters, or even famous movie characters. Are the bride and groom animal lovers? There are wedding cake toppers for pets, too! Cats, dogs, birds, and even lizards can replace the standard cake toppers that can normally be found on top of the wedding cake.
A Fun Twist on Traditional Wedding Cake ToppersSome of the most endearing wedding cake toppers of all are the "traditional" bride and groom wedding cake toppers captured in non-traditional poses. Instead of standing side-by-side, the bride could be dragging the groom behind her or maybe the groom forgets to put on his pants and is sporting boxers with hearts on them. For very casual weddings, there are even wedding cake topper figurines dressed in Hawaiian shirts and flip-flops. Wedding cake toppers are a great way to tie the theme together between the wedding decorations and cake while also being a small but memorable trinket to make your guests smile and enjoy the wedding even more. And the best thing of all? All of these unique wedding cake toppers are very affordable.
Vintage Wedding Cake Toppers Add a Sublime TouchIt can get a little overwhelming when it comes to all of the decorations needed for the perfect wedding, especially when the bride and groom might be on a limited budget and need to make sure their decorations and are still very much what they want without having to pay over their budget. One of the best ways to keep the cost down and still have unique and personalized flair in the wedding is through wedding cake toppers. The wedding cake topper is the decoration that sits on top of the wedding cake, normally as miniature figurines of a traditional bride and groom. But, there are all sorts of wedding cake toppers out there, and some of the most popular happen to be handmade and vintage toppers.
Choose Wedding Cake Toppers You Will Always TreasureFor the couple looking to have a retro, vintage, or charming wedding full of handmade decorations, there are wedding cake toppers available at a very reasonable price. Wedding cake toppers you will treasure include: -Handmade wedding cake toppers created by experienced professionals that source all kinds of retro-like materials.-Plaid, antique gold, lace, and even crochet can be used to make a wedding cake topper that will be truly charming and unique. Not only can they be inspired by vintage themes but they can also incorporate all sorts of couple combinations, not just the traditional bride and groom. There can be animals, famous cartoon characters, and so much more. For some authenticity, the couple can actually buy a real vintage wedding cake topper for their own special day. They're normally very inexpensive, in great shape, and can totally be included as the "something old" for the bride! A wedding cake isn't complete without a wedding cake topper, but that doesn't mean it automatically needs to be the same old type of topper without any personality, and, it doesn't need to be hundreds of dollars to be high quality and charming. For the couple looking to have a vintage wedding, retro ceremony, wedding cake toppers are a great idea that won't break the bank.
How to Choose a Wedding Cake Topper and Design Suitable for Your Wedding Theme
Wedding Cake Topper CoordinationA personalized wedding with inexpensive and affordable decor is still going to be just as memorable and perfect as a wedding where thousands were spent on the decor alone. One of the smaller pieces that can really set the theme is the wedding cake topper. Here are the best aspects of a wedding cake topper to consider coordinating with the rest of the wedding as well as the cake itself. For vintage or quirky weddings, consider a different kind of wedding cake topper that includes animals rather than humans. One of the most common animals used in wedding decor happens to be birds, but certain types of toppers can look vintage or absolutely elegant with cats or dogs. Look at the core colors of the wedding cake topper because it can tie the theme together, as well as match the cake itself. Whether the wedding colors happen to be dark brown and blue or yellow and white, pick the topper or have a topper created with the main colors of the big day.
A Wedding Cake Topper for Every StyleA wedding that is both elegant and minimal can still have a cake topper that isn't seen as "over the top." In fact there are minimal toppers, which happen to be the traditional bride and groom or even the couple's monograms. For a chic and trendy wedding that isn't stuck in tradition, there are wedding cake toppers available! Pictures of the couple can be used and chic designs can also be included to complement the theme. Sometimes it feels as though something is missing on the wedding cake, and usually that's the wedding cake topper that sits at the top of the cake. It can truly make or break the overall wedding decor and theme and thankfully a unique wedding cake topper doesn't have to cost hundreds of dollars either.
When it comes to the big day, why not add a little flair in the way animal decorations? One of the most popular happens to be birds (because of "love birds") and they can add a bit of uniqueness because there are countless animal decorations for table settings, wedding cake toppers, the guestbook, and so much more. Other animals can include dogs, cats, and even fish.
Funny Bride-and-Groom Decorations
Sometimes a wedding isn't going to be all about the glamor but rather a more intimate, casual setting and funny themed decorations happen to be the best. Wedding cake toppers with brides and grooms in Hawaiian shirts or in funny poses are perfect for such an occasion.
Simple But Elegant Table SettingsThe table settings don't need to be expensive in order to look elegant. In fact, there are inexpensive ways to make the settings look absolutely gorgeous--whether it is through a floral arrangement, colored stones, or even floating candles in water.
Why Not Monogram Everything, Including Your Wedding Cake Toppers?
- From the guestbook to the invitations and even the wedding cake itself can be adorned with the happy couple's monogram to make everything even more unique and personalized. It is also very inexpensive to do with the right wedding planning.
Wedding Cake Toppers and Trends
- Highly specialized and customized cakes with monograms or a personalized touch dear to the happy couple's relationship. No more towering cakes that are just there to be eaten, wedding cakes also should reflect the overall theme of the big day.
- Flowers are always a wedding staple but they have since grown up from being little buds of frosting or on a cake. Instead, couples are using real flowers, craft flowers, or even ones delicately made out of sculpted sugar.
- Boxy cakes are quite on trend right now, which make it more stable if it's a multiple layer cake as well as easier to eat and cut into. Normally these types of cakes are specially made by a baker's shop and wrapped in a fondant.
- Pleats aren't just for the bridesmaids dresses any longer. They can also be incorporated into the design of the wedding cake, instantly adding some chic and modern flair.
Wedding Cake Topper Trends
- Don't be afraid to get a little quirky with the wedding cake topper! Characters from Disney and other franchises can be used or even non-traditional couples on top of the cake in order to truly express the personality of the bride and groom.
- For a more contemporary and chic topper, the wedding cake can be adorned with a specially made monogram topper that can be kept as a keepsake.
- There is also the wedding cake topper which takes pictures and turns them into "best of" memories on a plaque for the happy couple.