- Is it Porcelain?: First, you are going to want to check the material the cake topper you are buying is made out of. This will often be in the item description. Some of the most popular materials cake toppers are made of are porcelain, resin, & acrylic.
- Look at the hands and ears: Porcelain cake toppers are made from molds. After being used for a long time, molds lose their ability to produce detailed figurines. If the hands and ears look more like blobs or you can't distinguish fingers or the curve of the ear, it means the manufacturer has been using a mold for too long.
- The Paint Job: If a maker is not paying attention to the detail, there may be some mess ups with the paint. It would be more obvious with ethnic figurines, but a lower quality porcelain topper may have the paint intended for the skin, on the white wedding dress. This, of course, should not be happening!
- It's in the details!!: Some cake toppers are going to be better than others based solely on the little details. Take the one featured above; part of what makes it so great is the Swarovski crystal that is used as hair accessories and on the wedding band. If a figurine is offering special ornamental motifs like this, you are looking at a porcelain cake topper of higher quality.
- Honestly, you are going to get what you pay for: Unless there is an amazing sale, it is likely that the price of the porcelain cake topper is going to reflect the quality of time and attention that is given to that piece. So if you are spending $50 on a cake topper it is going to be worth that $50, just like if you are paying $100 or if you are paying $20.
A Get Away Destination Hawaii Wedding - Melissa & Cameron
Meet newlyweds Melissa and Cameron. Melissa and Cameron met when they were just in the 3rd grade and became fast friends. Time and school quickly parted them, but by age 16 they were in each other's lives again and they quickly fell in love (though, as Melissa reports, Cameron wouldn't kiss her until 9 months after they were dating). Both Melissa and Cameron live life with adventure in their heart. Cameron is in the Navy and Melissa is currently pursuing her passions in aviation, fitness and make up design. With their adventurous spirits there was no question that their wedding would be full of love, adventure, and that little feeling you get right before you leap.
Planning the Wedding On a Tight Budget
After they got engaged, stress set in. Melissa had always dreamed of her wedding, but what wasn't a part of that dream was the anxiety that set in. "We had only three months to put it together. We had a pretty small budget. $3000. Also, my father-in-law promised us a honeymoon somewhere. After about a month of stressing over how to pay for things like: locations, photography, flowers, invitations, announcements, cake, food, entertainment, etc. I text my soon-to-be saying why don’t we get married in Hawaii and spend the rest of our honeymoon there. And so we did!"
That $3,000 covered their airfare, minister, marriage certificate fees, her wedding dress, photographer, cake, and flowers.
How Did They Do It?
They got married on a beach in Oahu and used the wedding planning service, Hawaiian Barefoot Weddings , which according to Melissa, was one of the best decisions they made. Hawaiian Barefoot Weddings took care of the beach permit, photographs, cake, marriage certificate, and supplied the family with fresh flower leis. Then, they were blessed with a family that was supportive and parents who covered their rental car, hotel, and reception dinner.
Everything was close knit.
Melissa and Cameron truly wanted to focus their wedding on them. They wanted to only have immediate family present, an outdoor and Christian based ceremony.
Melissa got ready with her mom and two of her little sisters in her hotel room. She was only a little bit (20 minutes) late.
Her father, David, walked her down the sandy shore aisle.Vibrant flower petals encircled the bride and groom.
Cameron's brothers were his groomsmen (dressed in Hawaiian shirts) and Melissa's sisters were her bridesmaids (dressed in mint). Melissa's father walked her down the aisle, sharing in that sweet moment of passing his daughter over to her new husband. The mothers were tearing up and everyone was smiling. This was a marriage that they had known was in the works for years.
"Things that people remember about our wedding are: the white sandy beach, the sunset, the fresh flower leis, the bubbly, the coconut cake and the strawberry shortcake, and the turtles that joined us at the end of the ceremony. Things that I will remember are: the minister and his wife, who coordinated the entire ceremony, the beautiful way that the sky met the waves of the ocean, the sunset, and above all seeing my soon-to-be husband standing among our closest relatives waiting to take my hand."
Special Little Details and Accessories
For her something old, she attached a heart pendant that belonged to her mother-in-law's grandmother to her wedding garter. Then for her something new, she wore a silver bracelet gifted to her by her mother for her birthday just a few months before the wedding. Her something borrowed was really rather creative. On the morning before the ceremony her and her husband went for a walk on the beach and picked up a single white stone from the sand. Borrowing the stone from the ocean, she hid it in her bouquet for the ceremony. At the end of their honeymoon she returned it by tossing it back out to sea. Then finally, as her something blue she wore blue crystal earrings. Another little detail for her wedding that was particularly special was her gorgeous bouquet made by her husband's grandmother. It was a waterfall bouquet of white Lilies, hints of green leafs, and subtle small crystal accents at the center of each flower. The something extra these crystals added is simple proof of what a bouquet accessory (or really any wedding accessory) can do to make each wedding detail special. It is obvious from her photographs that Melissa was a glowingly happy Bride. When asked what her advice would be to Brides, particularly those that are on a tight budget, she said "Go with the flow and stay true to yourselves...In the end there are a few key things that will make your wedding perfect. Make those things happen and let the rest be." Be sure to submit your dream wedding to be featured!
Dancing Bride and Groom Vintage Glitter Flower Wedding Cake Topper The elegant sweeping of the flower petals, soft finish, and timid colors are what make this floral cake topper our number one pick for floral cake toppers. It's simple beauty works with any wedding and will be the gem of your wedding cake designs.
Adorable "Leg Pop" Ribbon Accent Cake Topper- Custom Colors! This precious cake topper is perfect for a spring wedding with its quick color pops (which are customizable) and beautiful floral accents. The sweetly posed figurine and less formal design quickly adds to its charm making it our number two pick.
Zinnia Bloom Personalized Acrylic Block Cake Topper This less traditional block cake topper reaches number three in our count because of its beautiful coloring options and individualization. It's simple and clean design may be incompatible with the more vintage or shabby chic wedding style, but would work wonderfully with many other styles such as spring bloom and mod.
Paper Roses Wedding Cake Topper - Custom Hair Colors! This cake topper has a beautiful and intricately made rose bouquet! We love this traditionally posed cake topper with the romantic and whimsy paper rose base. This cake topper mixes well with many different wedding themes and will lovely in a garden atmosphere.
Flower and Pearl Accented Porcelain Monogram Cake Topper Monogram cake toppers have become increasingly popular and these toppers are particularly wonderful with their clean fonts and floral accents. These cake toppers can stand boldly within loud flower arrangements, but also not over impose in smaller settings, easily tying together a floral theme.
Stephanotis Groom Holding the Bride Wedding Cake Topper What makes this romantic floral cake topper our number six choice is the wonderful little details. Not only does it have the Crystal on the flowers and the ring finger of the bride, but it also has the beautifully made flower bouquet. You can find bouquets with many of our cake toppers, but matched with the romantic pose, draping gown, and flowered base; this topper stands above the rest.
Love Verse Bible with Doves and Flower Accents Wedding Cake Topper Our number four cake topper is incredibly sweet and absolutely perfect for a religious wedding. The small flower accents will help tie in floral themes or venue atmospheres, while also simply making it more beautiful.
Daisy Wedding Couple with Heart Cake Topper Adorable. That is the word that immediately comes to mind when looking at this cake topper. It can be featured with vintage, story book, garden, country, and really any sort of whimsy wedding themes. Additionally, the delicate daisies are a superb example of what can really be done with porcelain.
White and Silver Vintage Rose Pearl Wedding Cake Topper What puts this cake topper in our top ten of floral cake topper is the absolutely gorgeous detailing of the topper base. The pearls and flowers give this topper a vintage and classically beautiful feel and tone.
Kim Anderson's Pretty as a Picture ® "Love Never Ends" Wedding Cake Topper Figurine We close our top ten list with this creatively used cake topper. This precious cake topper calls upon the idea of a long time love, as well as the innocence and giddiness of childhood love. This cake topper lives in the domain of floral, garden, and outdoor weddings, landing it's sweet message as number ten in our list.
What do you like about the toppers in this week's top ten list?
Take a look Wedding Collectibles's "Coastal Cake Top
Cake Decorating Ideas That Are Meant to Help Brides Weddings come in all shapes and sizes, as do the pieces that build them up: centerpieces, wedding dresses, favors, and wedding cakes. The wedding cake, being one of the those must items, can be done in so many different ways and it can sometimes be hard to sort through all of the cake decorating ideas. An important thing to remember is that they are ideas, suggestions, and simply possibilities and not really rules. Of course, the cake decorating ideas that you are likely to encounter are going to be based on both tradition and the way cakes have been decorated in the past and on ways in which you can push on those traditions. As you sort through these decoration ideas, you can pick and choose between traditional and non-traditional designs. Some brides prefer pulling from the more traditional wedding cake decorating ideas because it can be a more sentimental route. However, adhering to a tradition does not mean it has to be in a traditional way. For example, wedding cake toppers are a traditional aspect of wedding cake decorations -that bride and groom at the top of the cake have been there since before you were born- but that doesn't mean you can't put a fun twist to the design. Unique Cake Toppers as a Twist on Traditional Wedding Cake Decorating Ideas
- Unique Animal Wedding Cake Toppers - Seal it with a kiss with this Seal Wedding Cake Topper A lot of bride's will choose to have a beach wedding this summer and along with that you will find plenty of beach themed wedding cake toppers with seashells and feet in the sand (see: "Beach Get Away" and "Beach Romance") which can be unique in there more natural and casual design's, but how many wedding cakes have you found with seals on top? Animal wedding cake toppers may not be every bride's cup of tea, but you can be assured that it would be an adorable and unique cake decorating idea.
- Take a look at a more Stylized Design for a Twist on the Traditional More stylized and artistic designs can also give you a different look, but keep you in the realm of tradition. There is something beautiful about the ease of these romantic wedding cake decorations.
- You have choices in the shape of your cake from its height to its form. Will you choose a round cake or square? Or will you go way out of the box and create your own shape? Will you have three tiers or two? Or Will you use cupcakes?
- Another area people are branching out are in the color of their cake. Typically, people choose a white frosted cake as its base color, but why not mix it up?
- Do you need cake? Some couples are pushing through this tradition by using pies and other desert options in place of the traditional wedding cake. Keep in mind that choosing pies would limit your decorating options (though there are some great "Monogram" cake toppers that are great for wedding pies!)