- Is it Porcelain?: First, you are going to want to check the material the cake topper you are buying is made out of. This will often be in the item description. Some of the most popular materials cake toppers are made of are porcelain, resin, & acrylic.
- Look at the hands and ears: Porcelain cake toppers are made from molds. After being used for a long time, molds lose their ability to produce detailed figurines. If the hands and ears look more like blobs or you can't distinguish fingers or the curve of the ear, it means the manufacturer has been using a mold for too long.
- The Paint Job: If a maker is not paying attention to the detail, there may be some mess ups with the paint. It would be more obvious with ethnic figurines, but a lower quality porcelain topper may have the paint intended for the skin, on the white wedding dress. This, of course, should not be happening!
- It's in the details!!: Some cake toppers are going to be better than others based solely on the little details. Take the one featured above; part of what makes it so great is the Swarovski crystal that is used as hair accessories and on the wedding band. If a figurine is offering special ornamental motifs like this, you are looking at a porcelain cake topper of higher quality.
- Honestly, you are going to get what you pay for: Unless there is an amazing sale, it is likely that the price of the porcelain cake topper is going to reflect the quality of time and attention that is given to that piece. So if you are spending $50 on a cake topper it is going to be worth that $50, just like if you are paying $100 or if you are paying $20.
"Sand and Shells " Wedding Cake Topper
The "Sand and Shells" cake topper is our number one beach cake topper because it is pretty much flawless. From the toes in the sand to the effortless wedding day kiss it is beautiful. We love the paint work on this topper because the shading really does add texture and a little bit of life (look at those rosie cheeks). And, as always with C&R products, there is that beautiful crystal on the bride's ring finger. All the little details with this cake topper are what puts it at number one!
Surfer Dude and Bikini Girl Bride and Groom Cake Topper This surfer dude figurine set is a customer favorite and makes number two as the best beach cake topper because of it's vibrant colors, easy-going humor, and straight up adorableness!
- "Summer Lovin" Surfer Cake Topper
Another sweet beach themed cake topper takes the number three slot! This cake topper seems to evoke ideas of young and pure love. If you or your soon-to-be love to surf, this topper with the simply and summery designed surf board and delicate flowers is the perfect topper for you!
- "Crystal Starfish" Wedding Cake Topper Looking for something a little different? This unique starfish cake topper is our number four, not only because it is a little different, but also because it's details are exquisite! The crystal accents at the center of each starfish really are what makes this cake topper go from glitter to absolute shine.
Beach Wedding Acrylic Heart Starfish Cake Topper
Casual First Dance Wedding Bride and Groom Cake Topper Figurine This cake topper is perfect for a casual wedding on the sand. If you are carefree and laid back (and let's face it, most beach bums are), then this cake topper is for you!
- Starfish Cake Topper So as this is the third starfish cake topper to make the top ten, it is becoming obvious that starfish tend to make good wedding cake toppers. Why? We talk about love under the stars of night and these are the stars of the ocean. If you are having a beach themed wedding, what could be a more romantic cake topper? Wish upon a starfish with our number seven of beach topper favorites and enjoy its clean design that will work with any color scheme.
- Beach Romance Bride and Groom Wedding Cake Topper We love this romantic cake topper because it captures that special over the threshold moment that is symbolic of starting your new life together. The "just married" carved into the sand is one of the many details that make this one of the best cake toppers to capture the moments of your big day.
- Toucans Tropical Wedding Cake Topper okay. These toucans are adorable! They are number nine partially because of their cuteness and then partially because they are a different twist in how to do a cake topper. If you are skeptical of how these colorful toucans will look atop you elegant wedding cake, take a look at the photos we have of how a couple used our Boston Terrier Dogs cake toppers -absolute elegance.
- Romantic Wedding Couple Lounging The final item in our top ten this week is lounging in the sand couple. What we really like about this topper is the naturalistic posing that can be incorporated easily with your beach atmosphere.
So...What is the Difference Between Porcelain and Resin?This is a common question at Wedding Collectibles because most wedding cake toppers are going to be made of one or the other. To answer this question I will go over the qualities of both, noting some pros and cons of each. It is important, however, to know that whether you should buy a porcelain cake topper versus a resin cake topper will depend more on what is important to you. Porcelain Porcelain is a ceramic material made similar to the way that glass is made, involving heating or firing of material such as clay.If it breaks, you will notice that the texture of the broken surface will feel powdery, demonstrating that the material is made of smaller materials or grans. However, unless it is dropped or hit with something it isn't going to break. Porcelain is a material that doesn't ware away or in anyway disintegrate. These are known for being a high quality cake topper. Why?
- Porcelain lasts longer. The color and shape won't fade or distort (unless you drop it and it breaks!)
- The major disadvantage is that is can't hold edges very well. What this means is that if the edge or detail is too thin, it will collapse on itself. If you have a porcelain cake topper, you do not need to worry about this happening. This would only occur while making the figurine, meaning that it limits the kind of details you are going to find in the cake topper.
- Expensive Material. High quality porcelain cake toppers do tend to be more expensive, but not necessarily out of budget. If you are looking for a long lasting keepsake, porcelain is well worth the money!
- Resin can be intricately detailed, meaning that your cake topper can have more detail.
- It can be cheaper than porcelain, but still maintain a similar look.* (See exemption in Cons below!)
- Resin actually yellows over time, so if you buy a resin cake topper you may find the white to be looking a little less...white. If you display it in an area that has a lot of sun, your cake topper will easily be yellowed within a year. Whether it sits in the sun or not, it will yellow, the sun just speeds up the process.This is why if you plan on your cake topper being a keep sake that you will have around for a lifetime or more, you may want to look at something other then Resin.
- The cost is increasing! Resin is most basically a high grade plastic. For a long time this meant that the cake toppers could be made at a lower cost, but the cost of this material is going up. Making the cost difference between Resin and Porcelain to not be so much of a difference.